Sunday, May 6, 2012

Slammed (FTX Day 16) - (Germany) Day 127

(Due to the FTX my posts may be a little sporadic, I found out the USO offers free Internet and will be toting along my laptop and uploading posts as I get a chance)

This morning was a little irritating. Some guys got up early and went for a run this morning, but instead of being courteous to those those of us still sleeping, they all talked back and forth in loud voices not caring about anyone else except themselves. That wasn't even the worst part, the guy in the bunk next to me was one of them and after he left, his alarm went off and kept going off because he was gone. I had to get up and turn the damned thing off, and I wasn't planning on getting up for another 45 minutes. The joys of living in the barracks. I laid around for a bit pissed off, then finally got up and got ready for the day.

The work day today was a little different than previous days. The official exercise hasn't started yet, but there are a number of people already here working and preparing for it, so they have been getting their accounts setup and they have also been turning in trouble tickets because of various issues that have popped up. A lot of them are because the images that we used on these machines are old and do not have everything setup properly for their needs. One of the biggest issues we ran into are a whole mess of computers on the domain that were put in quarantine because the image was so old, they did not meet the minimum security requirements. Once in quarantine there wasn't much we could do, only two of the civilian workers had enough privileges to log into them. They would log in and then we would start the update process and try and get them up to date, so they could get moved out of quarantine. (Once a computer is in quarantine the user cannot log in and the machine is pretty much useless…this is to protect the network as a whole).

So the day turned out to be pretty busy, in fact I only sat down once to check my email and Facebook, but after about a minute I had to get up and take care of another issue. Busy is good, the time passed quickly and I felt like an actual I.T. technician once again. I just wish I had more administrative privileges, so I could fix more problems instead of waiting and relying on others.

We left and I headed back to the barracks and took a nap. I don't know why, but I've been tired lately after each shift. Tomorrow we start the 12 hour shifts, so instead of working 0700 to 1300, we will work 0700 until 1900. This is a pretty crappy schedule, we'll be there the entire day and by the time we get out it will probably be starting to get dark. I guess we'll see how it goes, we should get a lunch and a dinner break. I think I would rather have this shift though than the other shift which is the opposite - 1900 until 0700. That would really mess up my sleep pattern.

I watched "Knowing" starring Nicolas Cage tonight and it was a pretty decent movie. I didn't know what it was about, so I was surprised that it turned out to be about the end of the world! It was entertaining and passed the time. I took a break and was able to talk to my wife for a bit before finishing up the movie and then getting ready for bed. I'll read some more of my book and then called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment