Sunday, May 6, 2012

Back To Work (FTX Day 19) - (Germany) Day 130

(Due to the FTX my posts may be a little sporadic, I found out the USO offers free Internet and will be toting along my laptop and uploading posts as I get a chance)

This morning there was a little confusion on what time we were supposed to go to work, half the people in the barracks said 0700 and the other half said 1300. We split the day shift into two groups of 6 hours each…the army folks doing one of the 6 hour shifts and the air force group doing the other 6 hour shift. This made sense because there is really not enough tickets to keep everyone busy when all of us are there at the same time, and it's also nice not to waste an entire day with a 12 hour shift…our NCOIC finally took some advice and made a good decision for once! Finally the NCOIC came in the barracks from his shower and told us that the army folks will be going in at 0700…I had believed the guys that were saying 1300, so I had to move quick to get ready by 0700.

At work there still was not a lot to do. We watched some funny videos on YouTube and then hung around waiting for something that needed to be done. I helped a couple people with some minor issues and then had to configure a printer that was brought in to replace another that was blurry. As we were all standing around one of the head civilians came out and randomly picked three of us to follow him. It turns out an army colonel (promotable) was there and wanted to give out a few coins. I was a little pissed when I found out, because they were given just to some people…we have all done the same job here and if they're giving out coins we should all get them. I was then told that there will be more and they are planning to rotate us through so we all get a coin. I hope that does happen, coins aren't' worth anything…but they are nice to get and I haven't received one yet since I've been in Germany. I received plenty while in Korea, sometimes it all depends on being in the right place at the right time.

My last trouble ticket of the day was a tough one. We had a guy that couldn't print and when I went in to look at it, the guy tried to show me, but it printed just fine. I wrote on the help desk ticket for the action taken: "Went in and gave the computer a hard stern look…then it started printing just fine".

We were off at 1300 relieved by the air force and I headed out to the Greek vendor outside to grab my lunch/dinner…a tasty gyro. I then headed back to the barracks with a co-worker everyone calls "Chris Brown" because of the similarities. We watched a foreign film called "IP Man". It's a martial arts movie with lots of kung fu…all about a humble Chinese kung fu master who's life gets turned upside down after the Japanese invade. He kicks a lot of butt in the movie and near the end is shot, but not killed. He later ends up opening up a school and is the teacher to thousands including Bruce Lee.

After that I read a little, then took a nap. I'm going to miss my naps when I go back to a normal schedule…LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment