Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day Of Nothing (FTX Day 20) - (Germany) Day 131

(Due to the FTX my posts may be a little sporadic, I found out the USO offers free Internet and will be toting along my laptop and uploading posts as I get a chance)

This morning was a little different because our shift didn't start until 1300, so I slept in until about 0830. I then took it easy and read for a bit before even getting out of bed. I then got up and headed to the laundry mat with one of my co-workers "Chris Brown". We washed our clothes and I grabbed a small snack from the shoppette for breakfast. I then read some more before getting ready for the work day. We headed over to the food vendors right before our shift started so I could eat a large meal that would serve as my lunch/dinner.

The shift was very boring, we had no help desk tickets and just took turns using the computer or reading a magazine. As I walked around the area looking in the rooms I thought this exercise is quite a bit different from others I've been to in Korea. Like Korea this exercise is a group of people playing war games. Everything is classified, but if you know what's going on in the world and where the trouble spots are you can make a pretty good guess at what it's all about. The strange thing is that even though I do see air force, navy and marines every now and then, the majority of the people are old white civilian men. Kind of the exact picture you have in your mind when in a movie soldiers on the ground talk about old guys in a room directing a war that they are thousands of miles away from.

We left at 1900 and I headed back to the barracks to read a little and then talked with my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment