Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up - (Germany) Day 236 & 237

The joys of rest areas on the Autobahn...some have bathrooms and some have the woods
(My boss during one of our stops on the way to Vilseck)

Saturday: Today pretty much sucked all around only because I felt like crap. I went to bed with a headache last night and woke up with a major headache in the morning. I didn't have any plans, so I just stayed home and tried to take it easy. I'm not exactly sure what brought the headache on, usually I'll get these bad headaches after I've done something to my upper back like wear my body armor or run (the impact from the running)…but I didn't do anything physical that would cause this. The only thing I can think of is that it must be brought on by stress. I mentioned a few posts ago about this training that I have been told I have to attend. It has stressed me out a lot because it's just ruined all my plans. Plans we've already bought tickets for! I'm not sure if that is what is causing it or what, but it seemed like no amount of aspirin or even my muscle relaxers would do anything to help it. I stopped taking aspirin after a while for fear that I might end up with a hole in my stomach if I keep taking them. Being in pain sucks, and it's really taking away from my quality of life. There were times when my kids were here and I wasn't able to play with them like I would have liked to because I was just in too much pain. I wasn't like this before I joined the army, I just hope I can find some solution…I hate it.

The only thing I was able to do for the day was get my bag packed for the training and do some laundry…other than that I either sat or laid down. My wife (bless her heart) took care of me and made a nice steak dinner and we had some cake and ice cream since I'll be leaving Sunday.

Sunday: Happy Birthday to me. I got to spend my birthday getting up at 0620 and leaving the house at 0645 picked up by my boss and our platoon sergeant. I then headed to the office to get some paperwork before we all headed off to Vilseck Germany, which is about a 4 hour drive. I just sat in the back seat listening to my boss and the drill sergeant (our platoon sergeant) talk…some of it interesting…some of it boring. I still had a pretty severe headache, but not quite as bad as yesterday, I tried to lean my head back and rest.

When we arrived at the base, we headed to the food court for lunch. After that we headed to go get me registered. I filled out some paperwork and was told I will be staying at the army lodging on post since I will not have a car. I was told we would find out today if I would be able to make it into the class because officially I'm on "stand-by", but their computers were down…so I have to wait until tomorrow. I was also told that if I don't get into class, then I will have to pay for my night's stay in the hotel and get reimbursed by my unit. That's just great! Not only do I have to wait until tomorrow before I find out if I'm even in the class, but if I'm not I have to pay for my room. I know getting the money back from my unit will be a long involved process and if I do ever see it, it will be way down the road.

The only good thing about my room is that it does have free internet. So I was able to do my schoolwork and then catch up with everyone on Facebook as well as video chat with my wife. If I do end up staying here, I should be able to focus on my schoolwork and watch a lot of movies…LOL. Right now though I'm in pain and I'm a little pissed off. Let's hope that tomorrow brings the good news that I will not be able to attend this class because it's full. I will then be able to attend my motorcycle course and see England. I'm crossing my fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment