Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up - (Korea) Days 95 & 96


Bowling in uniform seemed a bit strange, but it got stranger when SPC Roy
grabbed the little kid's guide to try and pick up a spare.

Saturday: Work Call this morning was at 0730 so at least I got to sleep in a little compared to the last week. We didn't have to leave to CP Tango because all the meetings were in our building. We had to setup for a meeting in our conference room, but for some reason we couldn't get the projectors to work with the laptops that were brought in. In fact they wouldn't even work with our computers. We ended up using a straight video cable running from the projectors to the laptops and had to balance the laptops on some boxes so they could reach. It looked pretty redneck, but it worked. We'll have to troubleshoot the video routing at a later date, because right after that meeting we had to setup for another meeting in the secret conference room. The room was going to be packed for an AAR (After Action Review) of the exercise so far.

All of us had to wait for the AAR meeting to end before we could leave for the day and the meeting was scheduled from 0900 to 1200. Wondering what to do SPC Roy decided we should go bowling, and off we went. We were able to get in a game and a half before getting called back to pick up our sergeant who was at the auto shop and then back to clean up the conference room.

After work SPC Roy asked if I wanted to go to Osan with him. He had to pick up a stroller, so I said what the heck. I have to say that their GPS units they use here in Korea are pretty freakin' cool. Not only can it act as a GPS, but it as TV as well which I think I mentioned in an earlier post. What I didn't know is that they also show and warn you when you are getting close to a speeding camera or a bus lane camera. These cameras will catch you and automatically send you a ticket. I did think we may die though, SPC Roy drove like an insane mad man trying to get to the hospital for his kid's birth or something. He was honking and weaving in and out of traffic. If we were in the states someone definitely would have stopped and pulled a gun on us, but I guess it's kind of normal here.

When I got back I video chatted with my wife for a bit, then took a nap. I was dog tired. I ended up doing a little schoolwork before winding down my night with a couple TV shows.

Sunday: I finally got to sleep in…and sleep in I did. I slept until 1030 which was so nice. I then had to do my laundry and then video chat with my wife for a while. I worked out a bit and then decided to go watch a movie all alone. Everyone is out on the exercise still it seems. I watched "Hall Pass" which had me laughing quite a bit. Owen Wilson is in it and he seems to always be pretty funny. It's a show about a couple guys who's wives give them a "free pass" for a week to not be married. They can do whatever they want. They have plans on picking up chicks all week, but find out it's not so easy picking up chicks in real life as it seemed in their heads.

It was a nice lazy day finished off with grabbing some supplies from the shoppette and doing a little schoolwork and TV shows which seems to be my nightly ritual. I've been in Korea now for a quarter of a year. I'm trying to have fun while I'm here and take in all the culture, but I do get homesick quite a bit. I really miss not having any close friends or family here. I'm so glad I have video chat, I think I would lose my mind without that. I'm just taking it a day at a time...




the wife

One day over, one day closer...

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 01:17 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment