Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Two a Days (AIT - Fort Gordon) Day 19


The weather in Georgia is hot. It is hot and muggy. Add to that having to wear ACUs all day and you end up with a lot of sweat. I’ve ended up taking showers twice a day now. I take a shower in the morning after PT of course because we work out and get sweaty and dirty. Then by the end of school and after the last formation I take another shower. During our marches and formations (which is basically standing around in the hot sun for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour in our ACUs) I get pretty sweaty and sticky. Hard to sleep unless I take a shower first.

I have purchased the wireless internet they offer in the barracks and have been using it for the last week or so. There is free internet available, but you can only access it in the day room with an Ethernet cord. The day room isn’t always available either. The wireless internet is $40 a month and can be fast, but it can also slow down to a crawl a lot of the time when we have a lot of gamers playing World of Warcraft or other online games. So it can get a little frustrating. It will also drop your connection at times when it gets really busy, which is a bit frustrating when you’re in the middle of a video chat. I want to try and tether my iPhone once I get it and see if that works any better.

I am the only guy left in my room on a top bunk. Being on the top bunk is a little bit of a pain in the butt for a number of reasons. The most is just convenience. Also I am right next to the door and it is constantly opening and closing. I really dislike this location. A guy in our room who happens to have a bottom bunk was transferred to another company. So with an open bottom bunk I thought I would check into moving to it. I asked our “floor commander” and he said I have to clear it with a sergeant. I talked to the sergeant who seemed to be way too busy to deal with other’s issues and he said I need to talk to my floor commander and then he is the one who needs to talk to the sergeant. What a pain in the butt, just to move across the room. Well our floor commander was transferred to another company as well, so I found the “supreme floor commander” who is in charge of all floor commanders and asked him. He said “oh you have to talk to your floor commander” and proceeded to tell me who the new floor commander is. It’s so frustrating trying to do anything here. It can demotivate a person really quick. I go from disliking this place, to hating this place, and every once in a while thinking it is bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment