Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mini Reunion (AIT - Fort Gordon) Day 16

Today was much the same as yesterday, except I had hall guard duty from 6:00 to 8:00 AM. This meant I was the one who turned on the lights in everyone's rooms to wake them up at 7:30 for an 8:30 formation. The guy who was supposed to be doing hall guard with me was not in his bunk this morning. Who knows where he is. Who cares I guess. Since I didn't have someone to help me I really didn't do much. I just did my homework for most of the time. After I was relieved I had just enough time to shave and get ready for formation. 

After formation we did the usual detail. Clean up our company area and a few extras thrown in the mix. We are part time students, part time soldiers, part time janitors, and part time landscapers here at AIT. LOL. We ended up having a formation at 11:00 and 13:00 as well, I guess just for the heck of it. PFC Metal's wife came, so he was able to get a pass after the 11:00 formation until our final formation at 18:00, then he left again…lucky dog.

I ended up working out a bit in my room, did some homework, wrote out some more of the policy letter that we have to do before we can phase up, and also played on my laptop a bit. PFC Metal actually ordered us some little fold up stools that work out great. They can be stored in our locker and can be pulled out and sat on next to my bed. Good for using the laptop. Which I did a lot today as well. It wasn't all Facebook and Netflix though, I did do some of the Skillport work that we need to get done for school. Skillport is a distance learning program we can do on the internet. We have to finish a number of courses on it before week 12. We will also get promotion points for doing the work as well, so that is an added bonus. There is a lot to do, so I've been trying to do some each night.

When I went to dinner at the DFAC I ended up making my way over there without a battle buddy. This is a big no no, but there was literally nobody available to go over there with. This 4 day weekend has everyone gone. I saw a couple of guys leave for the DFAC about 5 minutes earlier, so I knew I could walk back with them. It's still crazy that a 36 year old man can feel so nervous walking a block away by himself. I made it without getting caught. This DFAC is not our usual DFAC, I guess our normal one and this one take turns shutting down on the weekends. While eating at this new DFAC I found myself surrounded by my former Gladiators from Ft. Benning. PVT Lurch, PVT Skelotor and PVT Cock were all there. It was like a mini reunion. Good to catch up with them and see how things are going with people at the same base, but in a different MOS. Turns out it's pretty much the same. 

Hall guard duty at midnight tonight turned out to be very boring and again I was the only person to show up for my two man shift. What gives?

No comments:

Post a Comment