Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Surfing Makes for a Long Day - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 235

I sent a text to my squad leader this morning “MOU Today”, then headed to the naval shipyard in Bremerton. I slid right back into my normal routine…check army and navy email, then surf the web. I then surfed the web some more…then some more. I forgot how long the day can be when I have nothing to do. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact that I don’t have to get up as early, I don’t have the long commute, and I don’t have to pay the toll to cross the bridge. It’s just the fact that when I "work" for the navy, I usually have nothing to do.

I ate my lunch at my desk, and then surfed some more. I found an interesting forum that I was able to waste some time on. The forum is “The Physical Evaluation Board Forum” (www.pebforum.com). I came across it while trying to find out the average wait time for VA ratings (where I’m stuck at now in the medboard process). This forum has a lot of great information. There are a ton of questions asked with a lot of great responses from people that have gone through the process.

Later on in the afternoon a co-worker loaded a test copy of Windows Server 2012 on a spare server we had that isn’t connected to the network. This was just for us to play around with and test. I really don’t like the new GUI that it uses. I get where Microsoft is trying to go, they want the same look and feel for all of their products…from a phone to a server. The problem is that what works on a phone or a tablet doesn’t work so well on a desktop or especially a server. It all seems a little dumb to me.

I surfed the web a little more until it was time to head home for the day at 1500. I then did schoolwork and cooked a little dinner for my wife before she got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment