Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dragon’s Blood - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 228

The plastic rock path I walk on with my socks before each acupuncture appointment

This morning’s formation was in winter PTs as usual. After the warm-up exercises, we headed to the parking lot to do the usual walking. I had planned on just ditching everyone once we started walking, but the first sergeant decided to join us today. This means there will be no disappearing. I may have to change my morning routine and come up with a better plan. Walking around in a big circle in the cold is not what I plan to do each morning.

After PT I went to my car and did the usual routine, listen to the radio, eat, and take a nap. At 1000 I had an acupuncture appointment. It started off the same, I took off my boots and walked along the hard plastic rocks for about 10 minutes. I then took off my socks and my shirt and laid face down on the exam table. I then proceeded to get stuck with needles in my wrists, my ankles, the top of each foot, and many on each side of my spine. As I lay there with needles sticking out of me and listening to relaxing music, the acupuncturist then put some ointment on the back of my neck. She said it was a combination of cinnamon, peppermint, and dragon’s blood! She also moved some hot lamps above my neck and feet, then turned off the light and left. I got totally relaxed and probably dozed off a few times. She usually leaves for about 15 minutes before returning to take out all the needles. Even though I only lay there with the needles in for around 15 minutes, the entire appointment takes a good hour. This includes the walking on the plastic rocks, answering any questions she may have, and the process of putting in all the needles.

I then went to the pain clinic desk and scheduled my next couple of weeks worth of chiropractic and acupuncture appointments. After that I headed to my car, listened to music and ate lunch. I had an FTR (Focus Transistion Review) group appointment. This is a new mandatory class that we have to go through to prepare us for the actual FTR meeting that will be coming up within the next couple of months for each of us in the class. The army wants to make sure we all have a plan for our transition when we get out. We went over education and finances during this class. There was not really much group participation because you could tell nobody wanted to be here for it. It’s just another one of those “check the box” requirements that we have to get done before we can get out.

After the group meeting, I headed home and did schoolwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment