Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DRMO - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 220

A view of all the old computer junk that we returned today.

Send my squad leader a text “MOU Today”, then headed into the naval shipyard in Bremerton this morning. I do the usual and check both my army and navy emails, then surf the web. The internet speed seems extremely slow today for some reason, but that wont matter too much because I’ll be doing physical labor today!

We loaded the TMP van up with a bunch of old equipment that we have been accumulating once again in the office. There were rack servers, desktops, various cables of all sorts, mice, keyboards, scrap metal and some other odds and ends. We filled up the TMP and by the time we were finished, the back was sagging down quite a bit from the weight. When we finished up, I took a quick early lunch. I knew this was going to end up going through our normal lunchtime and didn’t want to have my stomach growling all the way through it.

A co-worker and I took the van to the naval submarine base located outside of Silverdale. As we approached the gate, I was half expecting the guards to have us pull aside so they could thoroughly inspect our van. In the army whenever we did training for guard duty, a low riding vehicle was always considered suspect because it could indicate an IED (Improvised Explosive Device). We had no such problems at this gate though, the guard saw we were in a government vehicle and inspected our badges, then sent us on our way.

We headed to the DRMO site on the base and I backed up to the loading dock. My co-worker took in the pile of paperwork and a few minutes later a lady drove out some pallets for us to load everything onto. I took everything out of the van and put it on the loading dock, then my co-worker played Tetris and piled everything carefully on the pallets. Once we finished we found out that in addition to the paperwork we turned in, we had to attach additional copies onto the actual equipment. Luckily this was just one piece of paper for each type of equipment (i.e. rack servers). We completed this easy enough, then took off and headed back to the naval shipyard in Bremerton.

Once back in the office, I surfed the web for a while. I also searched around for some other online training I can do besides SkillPort, because the Linux training on SkillPort will not work on these government computers. Near the end of the day I could tell I did a little too much because I was already starting to feel the pain. I think this is the last of the old equipment we’ll be moving while I’m working here. Once my shift finished, I headed home and took my pain meds, by this time the pain had already started to come on pretty strong.

I then started working on my schoolwork. This class “Business Policy & Strategy” is a lot more involved than any of my previous classes. There is quite a bit of reading involved and then a lot of short answer questions and case studies have to be completed each week. The teacher is a stickler for grammar as well, if you’ve been reading this blog for any amount of time I’m sure you’ve caught more than one error. With all that said, I will have to work a lot harder to finish this class and get a decent grade. I’m so close now…after this class I have two more before I graduate.

With the holidays, my pain, or my wife tired, it seems we have not gone to the YMCA and done any kind of workout in quite a while. We’re gonna either have to commit or cancel our membership. I want to go, but there always seems to be a reason we don’t end up going. Today the reason was definitely me, even though I took my pain meds I was still in quite a bit of pain and in no mood to work out. I feel myself getting bigger and heavier. I’ve past the point where I could eat whatever I want and do nothing, but still stay as skinny as a toothpick. I have to start eating healthier and getting a workout at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment