Monday, July 29, 2013

Shot in the Butt - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 51

PT this morning was pretty intense, especially compared to what we usually end up doing. The NCO focused mainly on our upper body doing things like overhead arm claps, push-ups against a wall, and sitting down doing the military press with a partner giving slight resistance. What made it such an intense workout was the sheer number of repetitions we did…I'm going to be sore for a while after today.

I did the usual and had breakfast in my car and then headed to the gym to change. I made the mistake of arriving at the gym during rush hour and it was a total sausage fest! There were naked dudes everywhere, I'm going to have to adjust my time and arrive a bit later from now on.

I headed to the SFAC to take an ACAP class. It turned out there were only two of us in the class, so it went by pretty quick. It was basically an overview of the ACAP process and giving us a bunch of websites to view. This class is supposed to be the first one you attend, but I had to reschedule this one earlier because of conflicting appointments.

After the class I went out to my car for some rest…listened to the radio and maybe even nodded off for a few minutes here and there. I headed back into the SFAC and ate my lunch. I ended up just staying in the SFAC using one of their tables and their WiFi with my laptop.

Finally I had an appointment with my PCM. We went over my issues as usual and I asked for something quite a bit stronger than my current pain killer to deal with the times I get major headaches. She prescribed me some Percocet, which should do the trick. Since I actually had a moderate headache she had the nurse give me an injection in my butt. I forget what the actual name of the injection was, but it was described to me as a dose of "Super Motrin". Because Motrin hasn't done much for me in the past, I wasn't expecting much from this at all. It turned out that it actually did help relieve my headache pain. In fact my head didn't hurt at all for about 6 hours! Usually I can feel the pain in my neck and head every time I take a step, even when I don't have a full on headache. With this shot, I felt normal for the first time in a long time…at least for 6 hours.

I waited around for evening formation at 1600, which ended up being an informal gathering where we were told there is nothing to report. I then headed home.

Edit: I did finally look back at my medical records and found out the shot was Toradol. I have since requested shots from my civilian doctor and it helps a lot with the pain

No comments:

Post a Comment