Thursday, January 3, 2013

Surprise Staff Duty - (Germany) Day 373

Today started off like any other day, I sat in the conference room and read my book for a while. Unlike most days, I didn't grab the key to my office from the civilian that came in. I had an appointment at the security office (S2) for an interview at 1000. I decided to just read in the conference room until it was time for my interview. I wasn't sure what to actually expect with this "interview". I just knew that it had to do with my blog of course. As the time grew near, I started to get a little nervous. I had no idea what to expect and my stomach was in knots, I could feel my pulse quicken, and I even started shaking when I started to walk over to the S2 office. OK…the shaking was probably because it was so cold out, but I was extremely apprehensive about this "interview"…I had no idea who or what or how it was going to go.

I arrived 10 minutes early of course, and quickly found out from the main security guy that the people who were going to conduct the interview cancelled it at the last minute. They said they could not interview me while my investigation was still ongoing. I chatted with the main security guy for a while. He said nothing in particular about my blog stood out as being an actual major OpSec violation, but if you add up all the little things then it gets into a grey area. He also said that he knows I really pissed off some of the higher ranking individuals with some of the stuff I said, so he thinks they are hung up with all of that. So no answers at all today, just a bunch of anxiety for nothing. It was good to talk to the security guy though, in his eyes I should only get a warning…too bad he isn't the one who is going to be making the final decision.

On my way back after visiting S2 I ran into SGT Mex who gave me some unexpected news…I have to do staff duty tonight with him. I guess the guy who was scheduled had to do QRF tomorrow, so they had to pull him off of staff duty tonight. Lucky me…on a week of scheduled half days, I have to pull an all night shift. I expected this kind of stuff to happen to me a lot here with all the brass pissed off at me, so I took it in stride. At least I will not have to go in tomorrow, and I get to work the shift with a good NCO.

I headed home for lunch right after talking with SGT Mex and then returned at 1600 for my staff duty shift. The shift went as usual, we talked quite a bit which passed the time. I left at 1830 for dinner and didn't have to return until 2200, which was a nice break to spend the evening with my wife. When I got back we chatted some more and then I finished the book I have been reading "No Easy Day", which turned out to be a pretty good book. It not only tells the story of how Osama Bin Laden was killed, but it goes into more detail about the lives of the guys in seal team 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment