Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Career Fair - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 60

 Just a cool image I found on the web of McChord Air Force Base

Morning formation was full of all kinds of inconsistencies. Some folks were in ACUs which is normal if you have an appointment, some had summer PTs (shorts and a t-shirt) and some had summer PTs with the jacket. I of course was one of the guys with a jacket, even though it's summertime, there is still a chill in the air at the butt crack of dawn when we form up.

After accountability we all found out that we had to attend SHARP training right after formation…shoot me now. Everyone headed inside to the multipurpose room and went through the usual army "Death by PowerPoint" slideshow. There were supposed to be videos to watch as well, but the NCOs couldn't figure out how to get them to work. This led to the trainer explaining what the video was about and then moving on. We all signed next to our name on the sign-in roster in order to get credit for this mandatory "check the box" training.

I then ate breakfast in my car, went to the VA assistance office and turned in my marriage certificate. I was supposed to give them a copy when I filled out my VA claim form, but it was with my household goods which just now arrived. I headed over to the SFAC and checked my army email. After that I went to the gym and changed into my ACUs before heading to a career fair located on the McChord Air Base portion of Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM). At the career fair there were a bunch of vendors both big and small. I stopped by most of their booths to chat and get a feel for what the market is like out there. I currently don't even know when I'm getting out, I just told them all next summer. It all really depends on how fast this MedBoard takes. Even though it may be around a year, I figured the sooner I start the better.

After the career fair, I headed back to the SFAC and had lunch. I then stopped by an office to pick up my "MOU". Now that I have done all the paperwork and prerequisites to attend school I can now take this official "MOU" to my squad leader. It basically states that I am attending school, so I don't have to stick around after first formation anymore. That means no more evening formation for me! It also means right after first formation is finished and I complete PT, I can head home and do my schoolwork in the peace and quite of my own house. No more hearing babies crying, kids screaming and running around, or just trying to find a place to sit in the busy library at Ft. Lewis. After I gave the MOU to my squad leader I promptly left and went home. Today has been a pretty good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment