Monday, February 6, 2012

Half Day - (Germany) Day 42

This morning was a good one for a work day. I was able to sleep in because of the late work call due to the Superbowl. I hung out with my wife and we enjoyed eating breakfast together. We watched all the Superbowl commercials on Hulu and then SPC Whirlwind came and picked me up for work.

We arrived at 1130, but work call was at noon and the office was locked so we couldn't get in. It was freezing out so we spent the extra time at the shoppette to stay warm. When the office was finally opened I was prepared with the new copy of Army Times and some trail mix to keep me occupied. The office is never warm. From what I hear it used to be an old server room and the air conditioning is constantly blowing on full blast. Everyone wears their polar fleece and most wear their poly pros as well to try and keep warm. Normally I'm OK, but today I just couldn't get warm at all. I made the mistake of not wearing my poly pros (army long johns) and I will not let that happen again…I hated it!

There wasn't a whole lot going on at all. I just sat and read for a while, then all of a sudden I heard the strangest sound behind me. It sounded like someone was gargling water, when I turned around I saw SPC Matrix throwing up in his trash can. He went to the emergency room last Friday and I guess he's still not feeling 100%. When he finally finished throwing up our NCOIC told him to go to the hospital again. Poor guy.

I was able to check and find out that my email is finally setup and working. I think I'm almost complete now. The last piece of being setup is to get on the security memo so I can have the code to get into our office. For now I have to ring the doorbell whenever I need to come in.

I then helped take inventory of a safe in our vault. Anytime a safe is opened we have to take complete inventory before locking it up for the day. Needless to say we try not to open a safe unless it's absolutely necessary because taking inventory is a bit of a pain. There is a sheet of the inventoried items and a person has to go through each item reading off the serial numbers while another checks against the inventory sheet. There are a lot of items and you have to make sure a thorough job is done because both people checking have to sign off on it. If something ever goes missing you don't want your name to be the one on there that missed it.

We then cleaned up and left for the day at 1700. At home I prepared for the upcoming exercise by taking the packing list and getting almost everything ready. We have to bring everything in on the 13th for inspection. I then just hung out with my wife for the rest of the night…back to the normal schedule tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment