Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Driving Again - (Germany) Day 295

This morning we all had PT in the gym on PHV, but shortly after I got started on the stationary bike, I was told I have to be a driver once again today and leave at 0800. Because of the early time, I had to leave PT right away to get ready for the day.

I met up with our CAM on PHV where we had left the TMP and we headed off to Ramstein. I was selected to drive our CAM to Rammstein for a meeting. I'm not sure how I've unofficially become the platoon driver, I'm horrible at directions and get lost easily. I brought my GPS and hooked it up right away with the address plugged in and ready to go. The drive was not too bad, our CAM and I had a lot of good conversation. I think she now has a good idea of where I stand and what I think about our company. We've gone on a few trips outside the office and have been able to get to know each other a little better over the last few months.

Once we arrived, all we had was a building number to go off of. We drove around the base for a while looking and finally found what we were looking for. I ended up staying in the TMP and read my book while listening to music. I would say we arrived at 0915 and I was in there until about 1130. I ended up taking a nap at some point and was totally passed out by the time our CAM came back out from her meeting…LOL. During the time I was awake, I remember thinking to myself as I sat in the TMP doing nothing, what the heck am I doing here. Am I wasting my life away in the army? I am definitely not learning anything in the I.T. field like I thought I would. I am watching my life just idle on each moment I'm in the army. I have to remind myself of all the other benefits such as being able to see and experience Europe…and I will be getting my bachelors degree…and of course the friends I've made. But still I struggle with this on a daily basis.

We headed to the food court at Ramstein to eat lunch and both ended up having "Johnny Rockets" a classic themed American diner. The food was delicious! We then headed back to the office, where we arrived at about 1330.

This afternoon I actually kept busy with some work. We had a large number of ComSec items that had to be added to our inventory. One of our customers came across a bunch of items while they were getting ready to move. My guess is that as the base is closing and people move, more of this type of stuff will happen. I added everything to our inventory database and then opened our safe so we could manually add each item in order…then of course do a full inventory because the safe was opened. By the time we finished all of this, it was time to clean up and head home. We swung by the new consolidated post office on PHV which was a nightmare. Because of the closings happening around, they merged several (4 I think) post offices into one. I had a package arrive and had to wait in a line that stretched the entire hallway…pretty crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment