Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up - (Korea) Days 159 & 160


A little beer my roommate gave me before he left for the weekend. 
It's a Japanese beer. I guess it's a midget size

Saturday: This weekend was pretty laid back. I slept in until about 0930 and then started laundry of course. I then was able to video chat with my wife and kids for a while. Once finished I took the bus to the commissary and did my monthly grocery shopping. When I was finished I made my way to the bus stop and waited. I didn't realize it until the bus arrived that I think I bought too much stuff! I had about 5 or six bags in each hand, while it wasn't too much to carry…it was a bit too much for the aisle of the bus. I was making my way down the isle hitting folks all the way down (excuse me…pardon me) until I reached some empty seats.  I then placed most of my groceries in the two seats across the aisle and put the rest in the seat next to me. Luckily most of the people got off at different stops before mine, so getting off the bus wasn't as bad as boarding.

After I unloaded my groceries, I went to the shoppette near the food court and picked up some milk and orange juice. The beginning of the month is always good, I have a bunch of food and even some fruit to eat. I then called my best friend since 7th grade and chatted with him for a while. It was awesome to be able to talk to him for a while. We talked about everything from current events to personal stuff that is going on. I miss hanging out with him. We've been friends for so long and have gone through a lot together.

I then stayed in my room and watched a movie called "Blood In, Blood Out". I heard my sergeant talking about it saying it was a great gang movie. It was made back in the 90's and I had never even heard of it. What I didn't check before starting was the length of the movie, it's over 3 hours long! It is a good movie though. It deals with some Mexican kids and how they start off very close as family and also part of a gang. They each end up going separate paths, one goes to the marines and ends up being a cop. Another turns to drugs and another ends up in prison and gets heavily involved in the prison gangs. These prison gangs are based mainly on colors (Blacks, Whites, & Mexicans). It's a pretty good movie, I can't believe I've never heard of it before now.

I then spent some time doing schoolwork before watching some TV shows. I think staying in my room most of the day may not be too healthy. It was probably a combination of talking to my family and my best friend. I then watch TV shows that my wife and I usually cuddle up on the couch and watch together. I just had waves of depression and sadness hit me. I felt like crap. I felt alone. The time I have to stay here in Korea seems like an eternity. I can relate to those that take drugs to numb the pain. It ended up just being a crappy night as I felt alone and homesick. When I'm busy at work during the week it's not so bad, and when I'm doing something with people here it's not so bad. I still miss my wife, friends and family, but it doesn't hit me like a brick like it did tonight.

Sunday: I woke up around 0800 and video chatted with my wife and kids for a bit. I had to wake up a bit earlier because SPC Roy asked if I could give him a hand today. Today is "Parents Day" in Korea and SPC Roy sent his wife and her sister off to a spa and massage for the day. He was going to be home alone with his son for a long period of time…for the first time. I came over to give him a hand and help him out with my experience of raising 3 kids.

He picked me up a little after 0900 and we went to his apartment and hung out for most of the day. We had Pizza Hut delivered and then later on headed out with his son in the stroller in search of ice cream. We finally found a coffee place that also sold waffles and ice cream (but no waffle cones…go figure)

I got back to my room about 1800 and did some schoolwork. I then just relaxed and watched some TV shows. I have another week ahead of me with a PT test on Thursday. I had planned on hitting the gym this weekend, but never made it. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment