Sunday, February 2, 2014

Weekend Wrap-Up - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Days 239 & 240

This weekend was of course Super Bowl weekend, and our Seattle Seahawks were in it once again! We started off the weekend on Saturday cleaning up the house a bit, doing a little homework, then going out to a basketball game. I had just heard that our town of Bremerton had a “semi” professional basketball team. So we checked out one of their games, which are played at the local community college. The “Kitsap Admirals” are in the ABA, which I had no idea was even around anymore. I did a little research while we were waiting for the game to start and found out that there are also some odd rules added to the game. For instance a shot behind half court is worth 4 points and any time the “3-D” light is flashing, any shot is worth an extra point. The “3-D” light went off anytime a team lost possession in the back court. The game was interesting to watch. There was a dance team for entertainment during the breaks as well. I had to check it out, but I can’t say if I’ll be heading to any more games. There were a couple dunks, but the skill level was more like an advanced men’s recreational league. There was also a lack of professionalism. The game itself was postponed about 45 minutes because the refs were late and the players were arguing calls constantly. The cost to get in was $10 each, which I thought was a bit expensive. The cost to watch the college games is only $5, and they are a lot more fast paced and just an all around better game to watch.

Sunday was the Super Bowl. We headed over to my in-laws pretty early and hung out there the entire day. There was a lot of food, family and friends there and the game was nothing short of amazing…if you’re a Seahawks fan. I’ve been a fan ever since I can remember. Growing up I watched the Seahawks play all the time on TV. I even saw a few games in the old Kingdome. It’s always been tough because we never had a team quite like this before. As a city, we also haven’t won a championship since the Sonics did it in the 70’s…and they were stolen from us. I rarely even watch the NBA now because of that. The Seahawks dominated the game and it was a constant celebration everywhere. The feeling is just amazing!

Speaking of Super Bowl and food, my wife and I both ate like total crap today. We both decided it was time to start eating better and getting back into shape. Our trips to the YMCA have slowed down to a trickle and we’ve been eating a lot of crap lately. I’ve also noticed a huge change in my body. I was probably in my peak shape while in Korea. I didn’t eat much and I lived practically next door to the gym. I spent a lot of time working out. I’ve since gained 27 pounds! My clothes don’t fit like they used to. I can say that when I’m in pain, I usually have no desire to work out. I also have a massive sweet tooth. I’m going to have to make it to the YMCA and do something, even if I’m in pain. I figure if I write it down here, I’ll have something to keep me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment