Thursday, February 6, 2014

SPC Mac Gets His Ratings! - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 244

Sent a text to my squad leader “MOU Today”, then headed off to the naval shipyard in Bremerton. I started the day off as usual checking my army and navy emails, then surfing the web. My MedBoard status on AKO is still jacked up…wonder if that means anything? After surfing the web for a little bit, I started the daily server checks…my new job duty here. I was only able to access about three of the servers, all the rest I didn’t have access to. I guess it’s a start though. I sent my co-worker an email showing all the servers I couldn’t access. Maybe they can fix the permissions before the next time I come to work here.

I logged into the GoArmyEd website and signed up for my last classes. After my FTR yesterday, they said once I get my ratings that the process may move pretty fast. I was under the impression that I would have 90 days, but they informed me that the 90 days is the absolute maximum. So now I’ll be doubling up and taking my last two classes at once. It will be a lot of work, but it will also be nice to finally just have it all done.

I surfed the web some more and chatted with co-workers for a while until lunch. I ate lunch at my desk and then took apart a server we had back in our office. It’s getting a hardware error when starting up, so I took out all the pieces I could and used an eraser to clean all the contacts. I put everything back together, but it’s still coming up with the error. I didn’t have much hope that it would be fixed, but I figured it would pass the time.

I then received a text from SPC Mac who was in my platoon in Germany. We both left within weeks of each other and we’re both going through the medboard process. He ended up at Ft. Gordon and had quite a few more claims than I did. He even started the whole claim process a couple weeks after I did, but he just received his ratings from the VA. He had some ankle issues and other various issues such as depression. He received 60% from the army and 80% from the VA. He’s so happy he could piss himself! He also had a great PEBLO who told him to make sure it’s the worst day of his life when he had his appointments with the VA. Now I’m a little scared, because when I went to the VA I was trying my hardest with all the tests. Not to say SPC Mac was lying, but he made sure they knew how much each issue hindered him. I have the habit of sometimes playing everything down a bit. I’m happy for him, he got screwed over quite a bit while in the army…almost to the point where he didn’t even want to go through the medboard process and just quit. Now he’s very happy he stuck with it and made it through the process. Unfortunately I hear the Seattle VA is one of the slowest in the country. I guess we’ll see how much longer it takes for me.

I continued to surf the web until it was time for me to head off for the day. I headed to Costco and picked up a canvas print we ordered. We decided to start ordering one canvas print of a selected photo from the various places we visited while in Europe. This first one was a pretty cool picture I took in downtown Amsterdam. After that I headed home and did schoolwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment