Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Making the Deposit - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 10

Headed to PT in ACUs because I had a meeting with my NCM. The NCO in front of the formation then called off about 10 names and told them to gather to his left…mine was one of the names. I was wondering what the heck was going on, but quickly found out that it was for a random pee test. Unfortunately I had just gone pee right before formation. We head up to the company headquarters and I hang out next to the water fountain drinking water almost non-stop for 45 minutes. Finally the urge to pee hit and I headed it to take care of business. The drawback of drinking all that water, was that I ended up having to pee constantly for almost the next two hours. I swear every ten minutes I had to stop what I was doing and go pee.

I headed to the SFAC once again and attended a newcomers brief. I was the only person there, so it was pretty easy. One of the guys who works there gave me the basic overview of all their services, then I had to meet up with each of their representatives and have them sign off my checklist. They have everything from veteran services to ACAP. When I hit the HR guy he went over my ERB (enlisted record brief - basically your entire history in the army) and said it was all messed up. He asked me why and I said I have no idea. The problem is that we get no training on our ERB, there is a lot of information on it and unless you're assigned to an S-1 shop you don't know what it all means. From some of the S-1 shops I've visited, I can say that they don't know everything about it either. The HR guy added my overseas dates and places and also added another overseas service ribbon to it. Once my household goods arrive, I'll have to bring him all my awards and have him add those as well.

I then headed back to the hotel where I checked out. I found out that I have to actually pay the bill of over $800 and then take the paperwork to finance to get reimbursed. This really sucks, because it's just another hurdle that I have to do in order to get my money back. In Korea and in Germany I didn't have to do this, the hotel on post just billed the company I was assigned to and took care of it all behind the scenes. I didn't have to worry about any of that. On top of that it was required for me to stay at the hotel. I would have rather just stayed with family instead of dealing with this crap.

We packed up and headed to my in-laws where we will be staying until we move into our rental. We were able to pick a house to rent that we really liked. It's located in East Bremerton which will make my commute to Ft. Lewis about an hour, but it is within minutes of both my wife's family and my family. My wife will also be commuting in the opposite direction, so it's centrally located for both of us. We met with the landlords and made our deposit.

No comments:

Post a Comment