Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Another Day in the Office - (Germany) Day 344

Started work today again as the chaplain's assistant. The chaplain is a little eccentric, but is a very nice guy. I want to do all I can to help him, but I also have to keep in mind that I have to pace myself. So I slowly finished up the inventory of the books and magazines until about lunch time. I then shut my office door, yes the chaplain's assistant has his own office! I ate my lunch and then laid out on the floor and took a nap!

On a side note with this base shutting down, sometimes people look past the local nationals (Germans who are employed by the base). When the base closes all of these people will be out of a job and a lot of them have worked here for years. The local nationals who work in the building that I'm currently in with the chaplain have started to bring in breakfast and eating together in the morning. They have worked together for years and now have to start preparing to say goodbye to each other and their jobs. A traditional German breakfast is more like bread and slices of meat, than our breakfast of cereal or bacon and eggs. I feel for them because they all seem pretty sad that this will all be coming to an end soon.

After lunch the chaplain had me head over to another building that has a food donation box to see if there was anything to pick up. There was nothing to pick up, but it was nice to get out and stretch my legs a bit. I then headed back to the office and had to do some mandatory training. I'm not allowed on any of the computers at the moment, until my investigation is finished. So the chaplain had to print out the PowerPoint presentation for me to read. I read it and then called back to my boss letting him know I finished it.

I spent the rest of the afternoon picking up around the office. Any paper that looked like it had anything important on it was shredded. I checked the drawers and such, but there really wasn't a lot to do. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to actually start cleaning up everything, that should keep me busy for a while.

I headed over to the gym for 1600 PT. The normal folks worked with resistance bands, those of us on profile headed to the machines and worked out. I actually had an awesome workout with the weight machines…I guess I was getting out all my frustration. Another day over and still no closer to finding anything out.

Another side note with things that just drive me crazy about our unit. SPC Mac has just been told he will be medboarded and will be on profile until he gets out. With his profile he can't wear any gear of course. Our platoon in all it's wisdom wants him to miss an ACAP appointment he has tomorrow to attend some RF training. This is the training for those who have to pull special missions such as extra guards on the gate. This is always done with full battle rattle, so why even force SPC Mac to attend. He will never be able to actually be on this guard duty…the reason is simple, the platoon sergeant wants to make sure all his boxes are checked (everyone has attended the training) common sense be damned!

No comments:

Post a Comment