Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Going Postal - (Germany) Day 85

This morning PT was some cardio in the gym and then a few sprints outside. Nothing major except my legs were still a little sore from the stairs and ruck march last week.

Today started my 2 weeks of working in the mailroom. Our shop rotates people to work in the mailroom for some reason. I don't really mind though because I'll be doing something I guess. I showed up and was put to work sorting mail out of big bags into slots. Each slot was for about 100 mailboxes, so it was just kind of grouping them together for people to take to the actual customer mailboxes later on. After that I sat around for a bit before being told I could go to lunch. I took my lunch in the food court and after an hour and a half headed back.

Once back in the mailroom I was then told I'd be helping customers. This process involves taking the customer's ID card and their note that states they have a parcel to pick up. I then find the parcel based on the number that is on the slip given to me. I then scan the slip, scan the card and give the customer their package. The process is fairly easy, but when it gets busy it can get a little tough. I forgot to compare the names from the ID to the package a couple times and found that I gave a box to someone who shouldn't have received it. The problem was that the parcel slip was placed in the wrong box, so the wrong person brought it up. I'll do better tomorrow.

The other parts of the job are to take boxes that come in and sort them onto shelves grouped by number. This makes it easier to find when the customer comes in. It stayed somewhat busy all day, with large waves of people coming in at times. This made the time go by really fast which was good. I won't mind doing this for the next two weeks, but it is just another one of those things that the army does which makes me scratch my head. I may sound like a broken record, but I just don't understand how the army can spend so much money training people to do a job (I.T. - a.k.a. computer geek for me) only to have them do some other menial task.

I left work and headed to the PX to pick up a couple things before heading home. I then did schoolwork and watched a couple TV shows with my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment