Sunday, October 23, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up - (Korea) Days 327 & 328


The Black Eagles during their performance at the Seoul International Aerospace
and Defense Exhibition

Saturday: Woke up around 0930 and video chatted with my wife for a bit. I was going to head to K-16 (which is a small US base next to a ROK air field) and then see the Seoul International Air and Defense Exhibition with PFC Pickle, but his family finally arrived here in Korea and he ended up not going. Can't say that I blame him, so I decided to head out by myself. I caught the 1030 bus to K-16 and saw The Black Eagles perform. The Black Eagles are the ROK performance team with jets similar to America's Blue Angels.

I headed to the the event area where they were having "K-16 Family Fun Day". I watched their live band play and then a traditional Korean performance. After that I caught the bus over to Seoul Air Base and went through the whole exhibition. It was pretty crazy. I've seen stuff like this on TV shows, but I thought they were exaggerating. The place had vendors all selling different sorts of weapons and technology. It was interesting to see kids running around the place where everything they are selling are designed to kill people. The kids were there obviously to watch The Black Eagles perform, but it was still a little strange. After checking out all the latest these vendors had to offer with their sexy sales staff showing off their small arms and their big guns, I headed outside. It was all so strange I had to laugh.

Once outside The Black Eagles were getting ready to perform again. There were also a number of planes and helicopters setup for viewing. Some of the big US planes allowed people to go inside and look around. I would have checked it out, but the lines were so long I decided to pass. Watching The Black Eagles perform from the Seoul Air Base was much better than at K-16. The view was unobstructed and all the performance was in front of us for the most part. Pretty impressive!

I caught the bus back to my room and relaxed a bit before doing some schoolwork and calling it a day.
The 2ID band performing during K-16 Family Fun Day

A Korean traditional performance during K-16 Family Fun Day


A few videos I took and put together of The Black Eagles doing a performance during the Seoul International Aerospace & Defense Exhibition 2011.

Sunday: I woke up around 0900 and did my laundry, then video chatted with my wife for a bit. I then went to the food court for lunch and stopped by the shoppette on the way back to pick up a few items. Once back in my room I video chatted again with my wife for a bit before cleaning my room and then working out at Trent Gym.

When I got back to my room I did schoolwork and then watched some TV shows. We were informed that the office swimming PT that was scheduled for tomorrow was cancelled…no surprise there. I have this week of work and then I have a week of Windows 7 class.

The rest of the night consisted of watching some TV shows and eating KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) with my roommate. This has become somewhat of a Sunday night tradition, unfortunately he will be getting out of the army soon. He goes on his final leave this Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment