Sunday, April 24, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up - (Korea) Days 145 & 146


When cleaning my room I stay away from my roommate's side.
No mopping, sweeping...or anything.

Saturday: I figured I would take it easy and just stay in this weekend and rest. I slept in this morning and after waking up, I did my laundry and video chatted with my wife and kids. I look forward to the weekends because I get to see my family for extended periods. During the week I usually wake up early before work and I get to chat a little with my wife, but that is about it. The rest of the communication is done via emails and through Facebook.

SPC Roy called and said he found out that a contractor that just arrived here at Yongsan was found dead in his hotel room this week. When he didn't show up for work and didn't answer his phone they had the hotel staff check his room and that's when they found him. They are investigating the cause of death, so we don't know if it was suicide, murder, or natural causes. Pretty crazy stuff!

I headed out and got a haircut, since we are having our Monday inspections. The nice thing about haircuts here in Korea is that getting a quick massage is considered a given. I could get used to that. A quick haircut with a nice little shoulder and arm massage. Not too bad.

I then met up with PFC Pickle and we walked off post to a convenience store to pick up some Korean snacks. Once we were fully supplied we headed back to the food court and ate lunch. With our bellies full we headed to my room and took an afternoon nap. Gotta love the weekends! We then headed off to the movie theatre for perhaps the last of the free movies here on post. We watched "Season of the Witch" with Nicolas Cage. That is the perfect movie that I like seeing at this theatre. It is not a movie I would want to pay to see, but it was decent enough to go watch and enjoy. It really sucks that they are going to start charging at the start of next month. It will take a really awesome movie for me to go and pay to see it.

Once we finished we parted ways and I headed back to my room for some schoolwork and then sleep.

Sunday: Of course I slept in once again. After waking up I video chatted with my wife and kids again along with my extended family who were all together coloring eggs for Easter. As great as it is to see everyone, it is also very sad. I realize now more than ever how important it is to be together with family. I had grand visions of all the exciting places I may see, the experience I would get, the education I would receive all by joining the army. I think it's really a great place for a young person to start out in, but for an old man like me with a family at home it can really suck. I had visions of landing a great job after I get out, but now I don't really care what I do. I just want to be together with my family.

Yes…I'm homesick and I've still got 220 days left here in Korea. Looking back on my blog, day 146 at AIT was graduation and I was with my wife. Day 146 here is just another day with many more to come.

After video chatting I cleaned my room and then used the lessons learned Friday and cleaned my boots LOL. I headed off to the food court with my laptop and met up with PFC Pickle there. We had dinner and chatted for a while. I downloaded some entertainment while we were there. After PFC Pickle left, Shamadillo ended sitting in the booth behind me. We exchanged hellos. I wonder how he is doing here and what his unit thinks of him. He's actually doing a 25B job…well everyone I went to AIT with that came here is doing a 25B job...except for me.

I left the food court after a few hours and an ample supply of entertainment. I then went back to my room and kicked back. I watched a few TV shows, then called it a night. Back to the grind tomorrow and a uniform inspection. I might even have a PT test this week. My sergeant did say April…and there is only one week left in this month.



mom

you make me sad when I read how homesick you are. Hang in there it will all be over soon and you will be home with us, we miss you so much also and cant wait to have you back home

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 04:20 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment