Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Augmentees Everywhere - (Korea) Day 253

A quick snapshot I took inside one of the augmentee tents. Not a fun time for
these guys. Very close quarters on cots.

Work call this morning was at 0830. When I arrived I headed straight up to my office and started doing SkillPorts. I knew I wouldn't have a whole lot of time once we started dealing with the augmentees, so I tried to do as many as possible right away. After about an hour I got the call to come down to the office and help out with the augmentees.

Special K and I ended up driving to pick up an augmentee that needed to get in-processed. Once we dropped him off, we drove over to to the TMP to pick up one of the vehicles we still needed for the exercise. We then headed back and took the augmentee and all his bags to his tent. We then headed back to the office where I took over driving and Special K headed into the office. I then drove our NCOIC around on a number of various augmentee missions. We picked up people, searched for people, dropped people off…basically a taxi service for the augmentees that were assigned to our office for the exercise trying to get them all squared away (processed and in their tents).

We then picked up all the augmentees that we had and took them to our conference room for an in-brief. During this time I headed over to the food court to grab a quick bite to eat. It was already about 1315 and I was getting pretty hungry! When I got back the meeting was just about to finish. Our NCOIC got a call that we had two more augmentees that had just arrived and were at the in-processing center (JRC). I asked if she knew their names…nope. So I headed down to JRC and when I went inside it was full of people. I started asking random people if they were assigned to our NCOIC with no luck. I went into a waiting room full of people and announced that I was looking for two people assigned to our NCOIC…all I got were blank stares. Finally when one of the guys doing the in-processing was finished with a soldier I cut in line and asked him if he knew about these guys I was missing. He didn't, but he asked another worker who said "Oh yeah…I think they are already up in Tent City." Grrrrrr. I was able to find out their names though, so that was a good start.

I then headed to the Tent City billeting tent to find out which tent these guys were in. When I entered the tent there were a few groups of people in it, so I walked up and started looking at people's name tags until I finally found them. What a pain in the butt! I grabbed them and took them to my NCOIC so she could give them a mini brief, then took them back to their tents.

After all this was over, Special K and I headed back over to the TMP to pick up our last vehicle. When we got back it was a little after 1700 and I headed back to my room. I had to work up the motivation to go work out, but I did make it to the gym. I had plans of running for a half hour on the treadmill, but they were all taken. I ended up on the stationary bicycle in the gym. This wasn't a normal workout though, instead of listening to my iPod and watching a few people shoot some hoop I was bombarded by the Zumba music that was blaring in the gym. The entire gym was full of 99.9% women doing Zumba led by what seemed to be a very energetic gay dude. It was actually entertaining to watch…people of all shapes and sizes with all levels of "Zumba Talent" doing their thing. The half hour on the bike went by pretty quick and I got a good cardio workout.

I headed back to my room and did my usual night thing…..watch TV shows and do a SkillPort.

No comments:

Post a Comment