Tuesday, September 24, 2013

No Hat - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 108

I headed to morning formation as usual. I leave my house at 0445 for the 0630 formation at Ft. Lewis. I only takes me an hour to drive, but I give myself much more time just in case there is bad traffic or any other unseen delays. In order to leave my house at 0445, I get up at 0420. Most of the time I'm on complete and total auto-pilot that early in the morning. I've done many things like forget to shave and forget my lunch. I guess my brain just doesn't work that well that early. This morning proved to be one of those days…I realized when I was getting ready to get out of my car and head to the morning formation, that I forgot my hat. I'm in ACUs and we are not allowed to walk around outside without a hat…that is not a complete uniform. Oh Crap!

So I just stayed in my car, my squad leader will assume I'm at my internship with the navy because it's a Tuesday. I didn't want to text him and lie, so I just didn't do anything and let him assume. I really can't believe I forgot my hat! So I eat breakfast and then take a nap in my car. I then keep an eye out for people and make a strategic escape from my car to the hospital, luckily I didn't run into any NCOs on the way. I don't feel like getting chewed out for being out of uniform.

I get a text from my squad leader stating we have 100% flu shots at 0900…I ignore, I'll text him later, I'm not going to show up out of uniform. I head to physical therapy at the hospital for traction on my neck. I have a headache before and the traction along with the heat seem to help temporarily. It doesn't take long before my headache returns and it gets worse as the day progresses. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or if the traction made it worse.

I head back to my car, walking fast trying to avoid any NCOs…or any soldiers for that matter. I head to the SFAC and use their computers to check my army email. I then head to the ACAP office (in the same building) and speak with the navy HR folks. I had an appointment to see them while they were in today. They gave me the ins and outs of getting a job as a civilian working for the navy. It was pretty much the same as the federal resume class I have already attended. I may have been a little preoccupied as well because I was still pissed at myself for forgetting my hat.

After the appointment I head home and do schoolwork, but by this time my head is killing me. I try one of the new medications the neurologist prescribed me and much to my surprise, it gets rid of my headache completely after about an hour. This is good news! The medication is called "Maxalt" and is for migraines. My normal headaches aren't migraines, but they can trigger migraines. I was just about to take some Percocet, which would have helped, but doesn't get rid of my pain totally.

When my wife got home we headed off to the YMCA to get a good workout in. I'm enjoying working out at the YMCA. They have some great equipment and I am totally out of the army environment. I think this was a good decision, I can get a good workout in a better atmosphere and a better mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment