Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Autopilot - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 95

Went to morning formation in ACUs and realized I forgot to shave this morning. I get up so early, I think I'm on autopilot half the time. I don't know how the heck I forgot to shave and I'm not a guy who can get away without shaving for a day…I get a 5 o'clock shadow at about 1300 or so. Luckily it's dark enough at the morning formation that nobody noticed..or at least didn't say anything. I think I'm slipping into civilian mode in my subconscious now.

I head back to my car after formation and eat breakfast, then take a nice nap. I head into the SFAC and check my army email (keeping my head down and not making eye contact with anyone). I then had to head up to my NCM appointment. Luckily my NCM is a civilian and doesn't really care if I shaved or not. We went over how I'm doing and how everything is going. (pretty much the same as last week and the week before…nothing has really changed)

After the appointment I headed straight to the commissary and picked up some disposable razors and shaving cream, then headed to the gym to actually shave. Now I feel that I can walk around in uniform comfortably without having to worry about getting yelled at. I then headed to the library and did my schoolwork until lunchtime when I headed to grab a bite to eat at Subway.

After lunch I headed to the neurology department for a follow up appointment. The doctor said my brain MRI came back with just some minor anomalies, but nothing substantial…so that is both a good and bad thing. Good that there is nothing wrong with my brain, but bad because they can't pinpoint why I get headaches so often. The working theory is that they are because of my degenerative disks in my neck that are causing nerve endings and tension in my head to cause mild to sever pain at times. All I know is that I live with headaches on an almost daily basis and I hate it. It really degrades my quality of life.

The neurologist upped the nightly dose of medicine I take and also gave me a couple new things to try when the pain gets pretty bad. One is an anti-inflammatory and the other is migraine medication…I don't think that will help much because I don't have symptoms of a migraine…at least not too often. The theory is that my tension headaches may trigger migraines. I'll give it a try…I'll try anything at this point. They are also going to recommend physical therapy, which I also don't have too much hope for. I tried that for months while in Germany with no positive results. I am also signed up for a headache class given by the neurology department. So all in all, this was a pretty disappointing visit...no silver bullet.

After that I headed home and rested for the remainder of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment