Thursday, September 12, 2013

Navy Sexual Harassment - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 96

I headed to my internship with the navy at the shipyard in Bremerton this morning. I arrived before anyone else in the office. The rule for hours here is a little different than any other job I've had in the past. There are prime hours where everyone has to be in the office which are 0900 - 1500, but people can choose to start as early as 0700 and work until 1500, or start later on, for example 0900 - 1700. I choose 0700 so there is no way I can make it to the morning formation for the army, and I just head straight to this internship. This saves me a lot on gas, toll charges and even sleep.

While waiting for others to arrive in the office I did the usual to entertain myself…play around on my iPhone and read the news. Once everyone arrived I headed out to the naval sub base near Silverdale with another fellow. I had to meet with the security folks and get briefed, then sign some paperwork. They are basically adding me in their system and "claiming me"…I now belong to the navy…lol.

I waited around for my ride to finish up with his business and then headed back to the shipyard in Bremerton. Once there I hear that my navy ID is ready, so I head to the pass and ID office and pick up my new ID. I also get a sticker for my car that allows me to park in the active duty parking lot. This is fairly important because parking is very limited at the Bremerton shipyard.

I take lunch and hang out in my car for a while. I ended up giving SPC Mac a call and we chatted for a while. He's having a heck of a time at Ft. Gordon dealing with all the army crap that seems never ending. He just needed someone to vent to…and I could sympathize with his situation.

Once back in the office everyone had to attend mandatory sexual harassment & prevention training. It doesn't matter that I've had this multiple times recently with the army, I now get it with the navy as well. I can tell you it's pretty much the same. A couple of civilians volunteered to head up the mandatory training and we went through a slide show and a couple movie clips. Everyone signed in to make sure and get credit for attending…nobody wants to have to sit through this twice in a short period of time.

Once the training ended, I headed home and worked on my schoolwork. Spending most of the day as an intern with the navy cuts down on my schoolwork time, but hopefully it will lead to some good experience or at least some good contacts that I can use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment