Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dept of Navy - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 94

This morning I started my internship at the naval base in Bremerton. I headed straight to the HR department first and went over the new employee handbook. Well I use the term handbook loosely…it's really a bunch of pages in a three ringed binder. About half way through the process I realize that I didn't text my squad leader this morning and almost had a heart attack. The last thing I want to do is get into trouble while in the WTB. I was supposed to text him and let him know I'm alive sometime before they have the morning formation at 0630…it's 0730 now. I text him and let him know I've been with the HR lady and didn't get a chance to send one off before now. He replied back saying no worries.

I then proceed to my new desk and meet my new department and co-workers. They are all civilian in this area, which is nice, I'm in civilian clothes and don't have to worry about anything military…I can just be normal for a while. Surprisingly one of the guys in my office is the brother of a long time co-worker I had back in the newspaper business. It's a small world!

I haven't been setup with computer access yet, so after all the introductions my first day at work for this internship consists of me sitting at a desk playing around with my iPhone. I read quite a bit of Facebook posts, news on twitter and anything else that kept me occupied. The one thing I did the entire day was help physically move a desktop computer from our office to another building. I guess this will be the first major project I'll be helping with. We have a number of new machines to replace old ones with.

I read a bit more on my iPhone before 1500 hits and then I head home to do schoolwork. Even though I didn't do much, it was nice being in civilian clothes, not having to commute to Ft. Lewis, and doing IT work (kind of) again.

No comments:

Post a Comment