Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Federal Resume Writing - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 101

I sent a text to my squad leader a little after 0600 reminding him I'll be doing the navy internship. I then go back to sleep. I had told the navy yesterday that I wouldn't be able to come in because I have an appointment today, which I do but it's not until 1300. It just didn't make sense for me to go to either place so early, so I took a nap and then got up about 0800. I did my schoolwork for the day and then got myself ready.

I headed off about 1115 and headed to Ft. Lewis. I had to attend a "Federal Resume Writing" class. When I arrived to the classroom it turned out that I was the only one there. After the class started there was one more guy who joined late. The class went over how to tailor your resume for specific federal jobs. Unlike civilian resumes, federal resumes should be a lot longer and fairly detailed. We went over how to use the USAJobs website (searching for jobs and uploading resumes). I was then signed up to speak with the navy HR folks who will be coming in next week.

I headed home about 1500 and did some more schoolwork until my wife came home. We then headed to the local YMCA and worked out. I don't have anything against working out, in fact I have always been an athlete growing up and have hit the gym quite a bit in my adult life. It's working out with the army that I really don't care about. I have been slacking pretty much since I left Korea. While in Korea, I hit the gym everyday after work. It was a little easier because I was a geographical bachelor. It kept me busy and helped the day pass quicker..it also kept me in great shape. After I left Korea and headed to Germany I can say my disappointment in the army grew more and more. I was already pretty disappointed that I didn't do any I.T. work while I was in Korea and then when I actually went to a signal company, I found out that I wouldn't be doing any I.T. work there either. It wasn't just that, but a lot of things about the army that just pissed me off more and more it every day. It just really didn't make much sense to me how the army did pretty much everything. There was no common sense at all. It got to the point where I had no desire to do anything with the army, and that included working out. I gave everything the bare minimum. I can see now that it has actually started to affect my health from my last appointment. I've gained a bit of weight and I've been slowly just getting out of shape. Now my wife and I will be heading back to the YMCA on a regular basis at nights. I can workout for myself now and not have to worry about the army at all…these workouts will be for me and me alone. I really don't plan to do anymore PT with the army at all if I can help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment