Monday, February 11, 2013

A Hard Day's Work - (Germany) Day 411

This morning we had PT at the middle school track on PHV. It was 27 degrees outside, and it felt even colder with the icy wind blowing. Even though we had our full winter PT uniform on, the cold wind cut like a chainsaw through butter. Standing in formation I couldn't stop shaking. This is just too cold to do PT outside. They had planned on doing 60/120s on the track, but there was still too much snow and ice. Plan B was to just run around the streets of PHV, while those of us on profile headed to the gym. I can't complain about that, I felt sorry for everyone else. The platoon sergeant said I've been on profile too long and they need to hurry up and fix me. I let him know I'm heading to the neurologist tomorrow and I'll have more information. Sometimes you can't just flip a switch and make everything OK…I wish it were that simple. My hope is that they will just release me from the army, nothing they have done or tried has helped with my symptoms.  As for today…I rode my stationary bike for my cardio workout in the warm gym with my iPhone playing music into my ears.

Today is Monday…and that means I'm a garbage man again. The difference is that I wore civilian clothes to the job, which was more comfortable and less stressful. I didn't have to stay on the lookout to make sure I don't miss a salute, I can wear my hat anywhere I want, and I can talk or text on the phone if needed while I'm on the move…not like I needed to do that, but I could if I wanted to. The day went pretty normal at first, me and another worker from the dentist office went around and changed all the garbage bags around post. I had lunch with my wife at the food court, then we headed back and picked up some of the bulk items that were left out. We then took the golf cart out for a spin to pick up any trash we saw just laying around. This part was actually pretty fun, because I drove the cart like I drive any golf cart…fast and wild.

The surprise came when we found out that we had to pick up all the bags of recyclable material and other various bags of garbage that were left out in officer housing. It seems that the city will not be by for a while to pick up their garbage and they were afraid the birds may start getting into the bags and spreading the garbage. We ended up taking four large truck loads…loading them and unloading them. It sucked and I ended up pretty tired by the end of the day. My back is sore and I'm ready to lay down and crash…but I had to do a few important things first like pick up my wife, eat dinner, do schoolwork. Another day is over and I'm one day closer to getting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment