Sunday, November 20, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up - (Korea) Days 355 & 356


General MacArthur Park with the statue of him at the end during our Incheon Tour

Saturday: Today I went on my last official tour in Korea. I signed up to go on an Incheon tour not knowing much of anything about it other than it was something to do and get out of the barracks for a while. We left at 0900 and headed to Incheon. The first stop was General MacArthur Freedom Park. This small park had a huge statue of General MacArthur as well as some flowers and other "park like" things. We spent about a half hour there before heading to Incheon Landing Operation Memorial Hall. This place was pretty interesting. We started off watching a little movie about the Incheon Landing operation that turned the tide of the Korean War. The place had a small museum as well as a monument. We had a tour guide that showed us around the place and gave us additional information.

The next stop on the trip was Chinatown in Incheon. This was an interesting little section of town I guess like other Chinatowns around the world. We were on our own for lunch and after walking around wondering what I was going to eat and how I was going to order, I walked by a restaurant were an old lady was standing outside and said "Engrish Menu" while motioning me to come it. I was so hungry by this point I didn't really care where I was going to eat, I just wanted something. So I sit at a table in this Chinese restaurant and I'm given a menu that has about 8 different choices in English. The waitress stood over my shoulder and waited for me to pick something…no pressure. I chose chop suey over rice and it turned out to be pretty good.

After that we met up and boarded the bus and headed back to USAG Yongsan. I did my laundry and then I ended up going to PV2 Charlie's room for a while and using his faster internet to download a bunch of entertainment to last me another week. We ordered some delivery from The Navy Club here on post. They have some really great food and it's awesome that they deliver straight to your room.

After dinner I watched a couple shows in my room and called it a night.

At the top of Incheon Landing Operation Memorial Hall

Looking back to the entrance of Chinatown in Incheon

Sunday: I woke up around 0900 and watched UFC 139 in my room. My new roommate slept until 1100 so I had to keep it down for quite a while which sucked, but I managed. It was actually a countdown show and the preliminaries before he woke up, so I was able to watch the main fights at normal volume.

I then video chatted with my wife and kids for quite a while. After that I headed to the gym and then to the food court to grab some dinner to go. I then video chatted again with my wife for a bit before watching some more TV shows and calling it a night. My wife will be flying here to visit for a week and spend Thanksgiving with me before I leave. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment