Wednesday, November 30, 2011

(Korea) - Conclusion


GPS Coordinates of all the places I took photos during my tour in Korea

A zoomed in view of the photos I took while in Seoul

My time in Korea has been a very interesting, enjoyable, and yet depressing one. It was my first actual duty station out of AIT, but the entire time I was told it wasn't "the real army". The environment was very laid back, which I enjoyed after being in the TRADOC environment for so long. I was able to work on my degree and I maxed out my military education promotion points. I learned quite a bit about the Korean culture and enjoyed every tour I was able to attend. The toughest part was being separated from my friends and family, although I did make some good friendships that I think will last...at least via Facebook.

My suggestions if you find yourself in Korea:

Get internet in your barracks: I used this quite a bit and even though it wasn't the fastest, it was my lifeline to my family and my entertainment needs.

Go to school: Korea is a bit more laid back than the rest of the army (from what I hear), so take the time to go to school. I knew so many people that planned to attend school, but kept putting it off. They ended up putting it off too long and before they knew it, the year was up.

Get out and see the land: You're in a foreign country, take advantage of it! The Korean culture is rich and full of history. There are a number of tours offered through the MWR, the USO and other special offices. Keep your eyes open and attend any of them you can. It's a great way to get away from the post and see the country.

Max out your promotion points: take the extra time you have to work on correspondence courses and max out your promotion points. It can be done.

Watch out for juicy girls: these chicks hang out at the bars and their job is to get you to buy them drinks from the bar. They charge you extra and their drinks are not even alcoholic. A lot of poor fools buy them drinks thinking they are going to hook up with them or something, but that will never happen…they are just there to help the bar make extra money.

Be careful driving in Korea: The driving laws in Korea seem to be just suggestions. They are aggressive drivers and there are too many cars for too little road.

Seems like all Koreans smoke: The no-smoking laws are lagging a bit in Korea. They seem to smoke everywhere!

Soju kills brain cells

Look out for yourself: This is true anywhere you are in the army. Don't expect anything to be handed to you. If you want something do the research yourself and get it done. You may have to get on your NCOIC, your company, or your battalion…but if you don't it will not get done.

Things I'll miss in Korea:

The KATUSA snack bars on post: These are great little places to eat and they are cheap!

The Pizza School restaurants: cheap pizza!!

Korean BBQ: There are so many great places to eat, but some of my favorite are the "beef and leaf" Korean BBQs.

Little massages after haircuts: Must be some sort of Korean tradition, but I love the little massage they give you after getting your haircut.

No Tips: Tipping is not a Korean tradition…you don't have to worry about it while dining in Korea!


mom

seems like most of the stuff you will miss is food, hmmmmmm
So glad to have you home, even if it is only for a short time

Friday, December 2, 2011 - 11:44 AM


daveesl

Hello and thank you for your wonderful blog and your service.  My daughter is a 35f, presently in Korea.  While she has only been there for a couple of months she really likes it and the Army.  It has only been 9 months since she joined and will be in Korea for 2 yrs.  Her goal is to do both Korea and Germany, so when I saw your blog I was wondering how you were able to do them both in such a short period.  Thank you again and I'm sure you will enjoy your time in Europe.

Friday, December 30, 2011 - 09:54 AM


Brandon

I think I'm one of the lucky ones as far as getting consecutive overseas assignments (COT). When I had about six months left on my tour in Korea I was able to get a list of jobs that were open for my position at the time I would be leaving Korea. My NCOIC's husband worked in HR and was able to provide me with the list. I then emailed my branch manager and was able to request a couple specific jobs from the list that were in Germany. I followed up with a phone call a week later and when I finally got through to him, he set me up.

Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:10 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment