Monday, November 21, 2011

Mac Tech - (Korea) Day 357

This morning I headed to work about 0900. I'm still out-processing so I don't have a set schedule, I just need to check in with my NCOIC at some point in the morning and before the end of the work day. The only thing I had planned today was checking on the status of my leave form, and if that was processed go to a finance brief. I checked my email and then headed to the company to check on my leave form. They said it was signed and is now at battalion, so it will be ready before I'm ready to go.

I then headed to the PX to pick up an external hard drive case. My NCOIC picked up the wrong size and needed the bigger 3.5 inch one so I could take apart her iMac and salvage her hard drive. I then proceeded to recover all her data to her laptop. I felt like a Mac tech once again.

I headed to lunch and video chatted with my wife. I then headed back to the office to wrap up the Mac work on my NCOIC's computers. Once that was done I headed to 1RC to attend the finance briefing. I learned about all the money that I would stop getting (hazardous duty pay, separation pay & the cost of living expense for living in Korea). We also went over different advancements we can get because we're moving, but that is something I didn't even want to look into. Yes it would be nice to have extra money to help with any moving expense, but it all gets paid back at some point. I turned in my paperwork with my orders and signed off that I was there. One more thing off my list of "to do" items before I can leave.

Once back at the office I checked with my NCOIC about the PCS award she told me I would be getting. I am starting to wonder because there is not much time left for me here. She said it's taking longer because it's actually a joint award and is harder to get. She also said it will probably get approved after I leave, so they will have to mail it to me. That kind of sucks, because I know once I'm gone and out of sight I will not really be a priority and I wonder if I will ever see the award. I was just hoping to have it on my ERB before I arrived in Germany so it wouldn't be so bare. Well…I guess it's the thought that counts anyways.

We cleaned up the office and left. I headed to my room for a bit, then headed to the gym. After that I watched the newer Conan The Barbarian finally. I would say it has that old Conan feel, but more in the 2nd cousin kind of way…not a direct descendant of the Conan series from back in the day.

Looking forward to having my wife fly in Wednesday night. I can’t wait to see her and show her all the places I’ve been talking to her about. It will be so nice to be with her in real life instead of just “virtually” via web chat like we have been for most of this last year.


Steve

It's been a pleasure reading your blog.  I am going tomorrow bright and early to MEPS and begin my career in the Army.  I am 31 and your blog has given me great insight on what to expect for someone whom is a little older than the norm going in.  Look foward to reading future posts and best of luck at your new duty sataion.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 11:49 AM


Brandon

Congratulations Steve. MEPS seemed like so long ago for me :). Basic training will be an interesting time for you especially being an older guy. There are some crazy things that go on and also some very funny things that just don't happen anywhere else. You'll bond with your fellow soldiers and you'll find yourself doing things you never thought you'd do before. I wish you luck in your future career serving in the US Army!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 03:12 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment