Thursday, February 17, 2011

Small Intestines of a Cow - (Korea) Day 79


A photo of SPC Roy and our small intestines of a cow
cooking on the table in front of us.

Work call this morning was at 0800. We were planning to pick up a number of vehicles for the training exercise coming up. There were no meetings at all scheduled for the day, so it was going to be a pretty laid back day for our office. SPC Roy took me out to our GOV (government owned vehicle) that is assigned to our office. It snowed last night so we had to brush off all the snow and then go through the PMCS checklist. This is where we make sure everything is working correctly on the car (headlights etc). He also showed me how to fill out the log. Every time we take a GOV anywhere we have to fill out a log with the starting mileage, the place we are starting from and the time. Every mile that is driven with a GOV is documented. We took it to the TMP and filled it up with gas, then turned in all the paperwork to get it checked out to us for another week. We have to do this on a weekly occurrence which seems like a little waste of time, but we have to do what we have to do.

We also found out that we had to wait to pick up the vans for the exercise, so we ended up doing SkillPorts in the office. I was able to do a bit of my schoolwork as well which is nice. Always great to get that done as soon as possible. Later on in the day we found out that we wouldn't be able to pick up the vans at all today and would have to do it next Tuesday because of the holiday. Unfortunately we didn't find this out until almost 1630, so we really didn't get to leave the office early.

SPC Roy picked me up after work at my barracks once I changed. We planned to go out since we have a four day weekend and his wife gave him permission. He took me to his new place and then we headed out to Sinchon once again. He wanted me to try some "exotic" food. He talked a little about live octopus, but decided on the small intestines of a cow. He told me it tastes really good, and not to worry because they wash them first. WTF? I have been really working on being open minded and always willing to try anything once, but this was pushing the limits. We went into a restaurant and like many Korean restaurants around they bring the food out and it cooks right there on the table in front of us.

I had a difficult time trying to chew them. They felt like I was chewing on a piece of rubber and the texture was a little troubling. I can say that I tried it, but I won't be trying it anymore. We also had soju which is a very popular Korean alcoholic drink. We ended up leaving the small hole in the wall restaurant and going to a bar where we continued to have way too much soju all night long. The bar was totally dead, but we had a fun time. I got home really late knowing that tomorrow was going to be hell. Ugghhh I am really getting too old to be doing this sort of stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment