Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ahhhh....Rest!! (AIT - Fort Gordon) Day 135


Our new room at Charlie Company. It's an eight man room after the big remodel
that went on earlier - new beds and wall lockers. You can't see my bed from
this photo, but it's the third on the right.

Usually I do a weekend wrap-up, but this Sunday is basically going to be a work day for me…so here it goes:

This morning I woke up a little after 9:00 AM. I was the only one in the room that was awake because we had all just moved in from RBK last night. I wasn't even fully awake yet, when all of a sudden the door of our room opens up and there is a man in civilian clothes standing there staring at me. I looked at him a little confused, I wasn't sure why he was standing there or why he was even in our room. Finally he said can't you see the rank on the lady's chest behind me. To tell you the truth I didn't even see that there was a woman behind him in the doorway, I was still confused why there was a man in civilian clothes that just came in our room. After he spoke though I realized who he was…he is our company 1st sergeant! I just was not quite awake yet and didn't recognize him out of context in his civilian clothes. I stood up at parade rest and then squinted my eyes, but without my glasses I had no clue what her rank was. I told the 1st sergeant that I couldn't see it. He then said "she's a sergeant…what are you supposed to do when a sergeant comes in?" (By this time most of the others are starting to wake up to the commotion). I say "At Ease"

The 1st Sergeant then looks around the room and starts going off. He is pissed that our beds aren't made (after moving in we all just slept on top of the mattresses). He is also pissed that we were not in our proper sleeping uniform (summer or winter PTs). So he starts going on and on about how he has to deal with this every time he comes to Charlie. Then he says we have a room inspection at 11:00 AM today.

We all cleaned up from the move before and made our beds. By 11:00 AM the lady sergeant came up and did a "drive-by" inspection. Our room commander went down and explained to her earlier that we had just moved in late last night and we were planning to get everything squared away today. She came up and looked in our room, then asked "Don't you know the 1st Sergeant comes by on the weekends?". We said "ummmm….no". We were good to go after that.

One nice thing about being back at Charlie company is that on the weekends, it's close to the DFAC and we can have free food once again. It's not as good as delivery that we would order at RBK, but it's free so I'm not complaining.

Tonight PFC Metal invited a few friends to celebrate the end of school with him. He had a hotel room with his wife and had a few people over to hang out and chill away from the base. It turned out to be a good time that we all enjoyed. There was a huge party that I think every private on the entire base was going to this weekend as well. I had heard about it, but it wasn't my scene…I was looking for something a lot more relaxed. When we got back we heard that the MPs were at the gate checking IDs of all Phase IV and Phase V privates coming back in Taxis after hours. Not sure what kind of trouble people were getting in, but they caught a lot of people.

When we got back to the company it was after 2:00 AM and we saw the command sergeant major in the front door chewing out some phase IV soldiers that were on hall guard. I'm not sure what it was about or anything…we were all a little scared to go in after seeing this. There was another sergeant there and when he saw we were all phase V+ he just waived us past. An exciting fun filled night…a great way to celebrate the end of school and to let loose a little before our upcoming weeklong FTX that finishes off our AIT experience.

A photo of us in PFC Metal's hotel room kicking back.
From left to right: PFC Metal, the young Hawaiian, Me,
the old floor commander, and PVT Celtic.



FS SPC Miller

Is it common for people in the Army to wear dark t-shirts with dragons and jeans?

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 12:26 PM


PFC McGuire

LOL...we're pretty limited with the civilian clothes we have in AIT. I only had a few shirts myself. With limited space you fit what you can in it.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 09:49 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment