Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Guard Shift (AIT - Fort Gordon) Day 5


These entries have been sent via email from Brandon. (Yay!)
This morning we got up at 4:00 AM...only problem was that I was up already for 2 hours. They don't have "fire guard" shifts here at Charlie Company, they have "hall guard" and of course CQ duty as well. Their shifts are 2 hour shifts instead of 1 like we had at basic. They have a lot of people doing side jobs for shifts here too, but the going rate is a bit steeper than back at Ft. Benning. They charge $20 before midnight & $35 after midnight! So I had to "guard" our hallway for two hours LOL. We also had a list of cleaning duties that had to be done as well, but we knocked those out in 1/2 hour.

I don't think I mentioned much about our rooms. They can hold up to 12 people. Ours currently has 8. The guys in here weren't too excited when all the new guys came because we doubled their population in this room. There is me, PFC Metal, a guy from 2nd platoon & one from 4th platoon all from Ft. Benning in this room.

We had more briefs from commanders and others after breakfast. Basically saying the same thing... stay focused and don't get into trouble. We then went to get our equipment from CIF. At Ft. Benning this process took the better part of the day and we left with a duffle bag and a ruck full of stuff. At Ft. Gordon it took only a few minutes because I already had a camelbak and a laundry bag, they only issued me wet weather gear (aka a raincoat).

We had lunch and a little down time. I was able to say hi to my wife (on the cell) and also make a quick stop at the PX to pick up some pain reliever. I had a major headache so this was awesome!! One of those little things you take for granted until you are at basic and not allowed to have any drugs unless prescribed...yes they would even prescribe Tylenol to people, but it's a pain in the butt because you have to go to sick call and spend half the day there.

So there are a number of freedoms and conveniences that are nice to have here at AIT compared to basic, but I think I miss the organization and the sense of being part of a team that we had while in basic.

Later on in the day everyone went to the dentist for a checkup. I got an "OK" (All dental work has to be finished before you can graduate...one less thing to worry about)

Overheard Quote: "Chuck Norris doesn't tea bag... he potato sacks" (a private in formation talking to the guy next to me)

No comments:

Post a Comment