Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Replacement - (Korea) Day 288

Work call this morning was at 0830. We didn't have a meeting right away so I checked my email and started doing SkillPorts as usual. I checked my status since it's the start of the week:

Military Education - 260 Maximum Points

Correspondence Course (Hours 1161) (Points 232)

I'm getting so close, but it seems like this last little bit is taking forever. I just want to reach my goal of maxing it out…only 28 more points to go. My original goal was before I leave Korea, but I want to finish it before next month.

After doing a few SkillPorts, I turned on the system for our conference room and then flipped slides for a while. Then SPC Mick came up and said I was needed downstairs to help our major burn a CD. I did some basic troubleshooting, but it will take some more time and evidently he was a little too busy, so I went to lunch.

I ate in my room and video chatted with my wife. When I headed back to work I updated our events calendar and then our NCOIC and I went to 1RC. We heard my replacement is now here and 1RC is where all the new people to Korea in-process. It doesn't matter where they are going to be stationed in Korea, they all process through 1RC for about a week or so…(death by PowerPoint). We found him and introduced ourselves and gave him our phone roster so if he had any problems he could give us a call. It seems strange that my replacement is already here. I feel like I need more time to get everything done before I leave. My wife is working on getting her part of the paperwork done so I can turn in everything and I'm starting to freak out a little because time just keeps ticking by.

When we got back to the office I had to visit the secret network guys and reset my password. The security on that stupid network is so strict that it's almost impossible to remember your password if you don't use it often. I haven't used mine since before I went on leave. We are going to start resuming our normal Wednesday meetings tomorrow in the secret conference room and I'll need to be able to log in!

SPC Mick left early because he had CQ and Special K and our KATUSA had today off because it is still a ROK holiday. Even though Special K is not in the ROK army, our NCOIC let him have the day off because he is actually Korean and has family here. I cleaned up and left around 1600. It was for PT, but really I couldn't do any. We found out that we are going to have a barracks inspection by our 1st sergeant tomorrow morning at 0500. Our NCOIC had to pre-inspect them tonight at 1830, so I had to go to my room and clean. We were also told we'd be doing company PT after the inspection, but then I found out that would not be the case because of our meeting in the morning. So this totally screwed up my workout schedule…no workout at all today.

Our NCOIC came and checked out our rooms and checked mine first. She tried to turn on my lights and I laughed. I told her I called maintenance and they said maybe sometime after the holiday. So she looked around in the dimly lit room (I only had my desk lamp on to help hide how bad my roommate's side was). She did mention though that my roommate better do some cleaning before tomorrow. So living in the barracks really sucks. Not only is it an inconvenience most of the time, it's a real pain in the butt for stuff like this. We have to get up at the crack of dawn for some stupid room inspection. Supposedly this is now going to be a weekly thing, but I can't imagine all the NCOs wanting to do this each week. I just can't wait to live like a normal married guy with my family in a house. I don't care if it's on post or off post, I just don't want to deal with this stupid crap.

In other news…I finished season two of Breaking Bad. That show is addicting and I haven't been able to stop watching it!

No comments:

Post a Comment