Thursday, November 14, 2013

Navy IT - (MedBoard: Joint Base Lewis-McChord) Day 159

I sent a text to my squad leader this morning "MOU Today". I then headed to the naval shipyard in Bremerton. At least at this office, I'm in an office with other people who know me and interact with me. I headed out with a co-worker first thing this morning to the navy base on Indian Island, which is about an hour away. We loaded a recently imaged PC into the TMP and I volunteered to drive.

We actually replaced the PC in the guard shack at the gate. This is the place where one guard checks your ID while the other comes out and stands a couple feet away holding his shotgun with a no nonsense look on his face. Once we explained what we were there for and the guards verified it, we got down to business. The guard with the shotgun said he thought about getting into I.T., but then found out you have to constantly learn because everything is always changing…so he decided to be a gate guard instead…lol.

We replaced the old computer with the new one and tested it before leaving. Once we got back to the office, I went and had lunch in my car. When I came back from lunch my co-worker had me image the computer we brought back with us from the guard shack. The computer is actually from the new batch, but it was having some issues which is why we replaced it. As my co-worker was showing me which image to use he told me to click on a certain spot and then click delete to remove some of the older images. Well he didn't realize that the folder holding the images was highlighted, so when I clicked delete, it deleted all of his images. Just like that…in an instant they were all gone. No warning or trash bin to recover them from because we were booted from the backup CD. Luckily the guy had another drive with some older images, so I used one of those to image the machine. Once imaged I had to activate Windows through the automated phone system Microsoft has. We can't connect it to the network because it's not up to specs yet, so using the automated phone system is the only way we can do it.

By this time it was time to head home. I went home and did schoolwork until my wife came home. We were going to hit the YMCA tonight, but my sister called and asked if we could take my nieces to their swimming lessons…I have to be a good uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment