Thursday, July 14, 2011

The NCOIC’s Bitch - (Korea) Day 227

A quick snap shot I took of the VIP staging area (formerly known as the racquet ball court)
complete with leather couches and plants

Work call this morning was at 0730. We setup for a KUB in our conference room and then our KATUSA, me and our NCOIC took off to the big gym on post "Collier Field House" to help setup for the commander's change of command ceremony. The ceremony was originally scheduled to be on Knight Field which is right outside our office, but because of the weather it was moved inside. I helped place some brochures on the seats and duct tape down some cables on the floor…pretty minor stuff. Our army major then wanted me backstage near the VIP staging area where they had a laptop and portable projector setup just in case there were any technical difficulties.

As I was standing around there were so many generals walking around it was crazy. They all had a personal security detail as well, so there were all these guys walking around in suits with ear pieces in, it looked like a secret service convention or something. The incoming General came in and saw me standing along his path to the VIP staging area. He stopped and shook my hand and asked where I was from. He could tell I was a little nervous, because it took me a moment to speak. I wasn't ready for him to stop and talk to me, everyone else just walked by and ignored me! He said he's just a soldier too like me…lol. Seems like a pretty down to earth guy.

Once the ceremony started I headed out and we made a pit-stop at Starbucks where our NCOIC treated me and our KATUSA to some much needed caffeine. Once back at the office I did one SkillPort before my NCOIC asked me to finish up on all the phone calls I started yesterday. As I was doing that Our KATUSA and SPC Mick headed back to Collier Field House to help clean up. When they came back they were with our army major who bought some pizza for us all. That was a nice gesture because we have all been pretty busy with this change of command and it all went very smooth.

After pizza I made many more phone calls. This is basically what the action officers do in our office. They make a lot of phone calls to verify who is attending certain meetings so they can prepare the correct seating charts. I'm guessing my NCOIC doesn't care for doing this because she's passing it all off on me. I finally finished and gave her a detailed report of who was attending and who I just couldn't get on the phone.

I then continued on my army SSDL1 module 3 and finally finish it. I now only have one more module to go. I was hoping to get it done this week, but it doesn't look like that will be happening…maybe next week before I go on leave.

My NCOIC called me down to her desk and then I get handed another sheet of paper full of names for a different meeting at a later date. Another project to start tomorrow. My sergeant also gave me his list of inventory items he hasn't been able to find yet and asked me to see what I could find. We had a meeting going on in our conference room, so I couldn't do much. The meeting lasted until about 1720 then we cleaned up and left for the day. Looks like I already have a lot to do in the morning.

I eat dinner in my room and watch some TV shows as usual, except I make sure to do at least a SkillPort between each show.

A VIP arriving via helicopter to the Change of Command ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment