Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shipping Out (Basic Training)


These entries are from the letters that Brandon has mailed to me. 
After a really crappy nights sleep, I woke up feeling sick to my stomach and had a really bad headache. I was able to eat a bowl of raisin brand and a glass of OJ. Shortly after breakfast the hotel shuttle took four of us to the airport at 5:30am. Once we arrived at the airport I quickly went to the drug store and bought some Excedrin and Dramamine. Once we boarded the flight, I think I fell asleep as soon as I sat down on my seat. When I woke up, I felt much better. The flight was from Spokane to Denver. Once in Denver, we used our government meal checks to grab some lunch. After that we all had to split up because we we’re all heading to different bases for basic. I was able to call my wife while waiting to board. So nice to hear her voice. I’m going to miss her!
Right now it’s 13:52 and I’m flying towards Atlanta. I should’ve brought a magazine to read. I know they are not allowed at basic, but it would have been nice to read something. I’m bored as hell right now. I was able to take another small nap and I feel great now. Nervous and excited at the same time to arrive at Ft. Benning,
I’m going to tell you about a little story I heard while at dinner last night. At the hotel they stuck all the MEPS folks at a romantic table for ten in the corner. I joined two other guys and shortly after, two more came in and sat down. The talks were all about why we joined, what branch, what job etc. It then moved to basic training and how we have to repel down a 60’ tower. One of the guys (trying out for special forces) said he used to repel all the time and even around the world. He said, while in Greece him and his buddies decided to repel down a building. They ended up on the roof of an Israeli official and a few seconds later a big metal door flew open and guards with machine guns came running out yelling at them. They were all arrested and then interrogated for about 10 hours. Finally, they convinced the authorities that they were just a bunch of stupid Americans and they were released. He said he can laugh about it now, but it was pretty scary at the time. His recruiter told him to definitely not mention this at MEPS since it was in another country and it was just plain stupid. LOL
Stupid and crazy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment