Wednesday, April 7, 2010

04-07-2010 Continued (Basic Training)


The group of future soldiers hanging around at the Atlanta airport....
waiting...and waiting

These entries are from the letters that Brandon has mailed to me.

So the airplane arrived at the airport at 5:30pm. I followed the instructions on where to meet and found a number of guys just sitting around waiting. So just in case the bus was coming soon, I got some ice cream right away with my government meal check. LOL!  Then I waited. And waited. At 7:30pm there was a pre-mature bus loadage (they only brought on bus so only 1/3 of the people got to load). The rest of us waited until 9:45pm for two more buses to come. I slept most of the bus ride and we finally arrived around midnight.

A Drill Sergeant (DS) came on the bus and gave us some instructions. We all got out and ended up heading to a big open room with a lot of benches (almost 150 of us). Watched a video on contraband and then we were allowed to get rid of any. I found out cough drops are not allowed to be brought in so I tossed mine.

More lectures, more paperwork, then we were given all our clothes. What’s funny is that all the DS call everyone “guy” because we don’t have uniforms with names yet. Also, when going to the bathroom, I saw some graffiti “Get out while you still can”. We were assigned bunks, showered and shaved. It’s now 4:00am I gotta try and nap a little.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment