Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Cell Phone Solution (Pre-Basic Training) 12 Days until Basic


On all the packing lists I’ve read, it does not state that we can bring cell phones. In fact some websites say don’t bring any sort of electronics including cell phones. I was glad to hear the recruiter tell everyone to bring a cell phone no matter what they have heard. He said it all depends on the drill sergeant that you end up with, but usually (when allowed phone privileges) recruits are allowed to use their personal cell phones.
I have not had a personal cell phone in a while. I have always had a cell phone issued to me for my job, which we were allowed to use for personal use as well. I had a blackberry first, then an iPhone. I didn’t think it would be a wise move to purchase an iPhone and pay the monthly fee only to have it sit in storage at basic until we are allowed to use it especially since it is likely to be only once a week (if that). So I have put my iPhone plans on hold (maybe they will come out with an even better model by the time I finish basic…4G? Verizon network? I know I’m dreaming). 
I went down to the Verizon store and purchased a no contract pay as you go phone for $19.99. I decided to use Verizon since my wife, kids and mom all have Verizon and when using the no contract phone it will only cost $1 each day that I use it with no minutes charged while calling other Verizon cell phones.
My new phone is all set with my family’s numbers programmed in. I’m ready to go in the communication department.

No comments:

Post a Comment