Friday, March 5, 2010

A Shave a Day Keeps the Drill Sergeant Away (Pre-Basic Training) 32 Days until Basic


Let me start by saying that I have never shaved with a razor consistently in my entire life. I have been able to grow a beard since I was a teenager. In fact when I was 17, my beard was so full I was able to purchase beer for my 20-year-old friend (who was only able to grow a thin mustache). I have always used an electric razor or blade to trim up and sport either a beard or goatee, and every once in a while a clean-shaven face for a fresh start. I would even get creative with my facial hair going with the full beard for a few weeks, then start trimming it into what I call the “Commander Riker” look (being the Star Trek geek that I am). A week or two later would come the long side burns and goatee followed by a stand-alone goatee. Once in a great while I may sport the sideburns only look, or even a soul patch.  The “Miami Vice” stubble beard would follow all this up for a while until I let the whole thing grow into the full beard once again. Then the whole process would start all over. 
Needless to say shaving everyday in the army is going to be a new experience for me. I have started shaving everyday with a razor to get myself used to this. Since I am so manly I end up having a five o’clock shadow about 5 minutes after I finish shaving. This may turn out to be a bit of a pain in the butt during basic. I imagine the drill sergeants are going to give me a bunch of crap. I may also end up having to shave twice a day, which would suck. I already get little cuts and nicks when I’m taking my time shaving. With the reduced time that I will have getting ready each morning I fear that I may end up a bloody mess each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment