Saturday, January 23, 2010

Recruiter Check In (Pre-Basic Training) 73 Days until Basic


I forgot to mention the first time I checked in with the recruiter, so I’ll combine it with this post. After I swore in at MEPS I found out that I am supposed to check in with my recruiter twice a month. This works out fine since I have Fridays off and it seems that they are not very busy on Fridays.

My first visit was two weeks ago. During this visit they gave me my direct deposit slip to fill out as well as some items to start memorizing. This included the rank structure, general orders, the phonetic alphabet, and the soldier’s creed. They also showed me how to access AKO or The Army Knowledge Online website. The recruiter described it as a facebook for army recruits. The whole process was not that long and took about a half hour.
My second visit was today. I arrived and the recruiter asked how the memorizing was going on the sheet he gave me last time. I have the phonetic alphabet down, now I need to get all the rest memorized. I gave him my direct deposit form and then we went over how to read and navigate a map. He let me know that an army map consists of 5 major terrain features and they can be remembered by using the phrase Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing, which equals Hill, Valley, Ridge, Saddle, & Draw. We went over how to find each of these features on a map and also how to find coordinates and how to state coordinates. That was about it this time around. I will continue working out, studying, and see him again in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment