Friday, December 25, 2009

Army Physical Fitness (Pre-Basic Training) 102 Days until Basic

The army currently has what is called the Army Physical Fitness Test. A recruit needs at least 60 in each category to pass. To score 100% in each for my age group (32-36) I need the following:
2-Mile Run: 13:18
Push-ups: 75
Sit-ups: 76
I feel I’m in decent shape already for my age. I work out in the weight room twice a week and I play basketball twice a week. I did need to know where I was currently at on the charts, so I tested myself at the end of December, this would give me a baseline to start from. My scores were:
2-Mile Run: 22:30 = 16 points
Push-ups: 43 = 67 points
Sit-ups: 37 = 54 points
Obviously I need some work on my cardio. I used a treadmill and was unsure about the speed to select, so I just chose 5 miles per hour and half way through chose 5.5 miles per hour. I’ll definitely have to step this up a bit. I plan on switching to running on a track outside once all the snow clears.
Push-ups I have a passing score already, so I will just need to work on this a bit to bring it up to 100%.
Sit-ups are pretty the same as push-ups noted above, I just need to work on improving my score.
If all goes according to plan I will ship out for basic at the beginning of April, so I have a few months to help me get into "basic training" shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment